[ExI] Trans athletes and fairness

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:38:35 UTC 2022

The problem isn't even just professional athletics. You can't have
meaningful athletic contests even at an amateur level between people whose
hormone-influenced muscle density and skeletal architecture are too
different.

Even within a biological sex, even at an amateur level, many sports require
weight clases to keep the competitions even remotely meaningful. Weight
classes are admittedly a blunt approximation of bodily optimality in, for
example, wrestling, and are gamable to some extent, but without them you
don't even have a sport.

For something like swimming, if the governing body doesn't want to fall
back to sex essentialism [which it appears they have], they're going to
need more finely grained divisions - some combination of height, weight,
muscle mass, body fat percfentage, and shoulder width. They simply can't
pretend anymore that excellence in their sport is independent of some very
specific morphological qualities, and that anyone too far from the median
in their division, no matter what they identify as, is simply going to
curbstomp everyone else.

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 9:04 AM Dave S via extropy-chat <