[ExI] article about Rafal and his daughter

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:16:51 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022, 11:45 AM Gadersd via extropy-chat <

> Thank you Jason. You precisely explained my misgivings regarding gene
> manipulation and saved me the effort of writing it all out. I am especially
> concerned with issue #3. Diversity and uniqueness of experience is
> something I value perhaps more than anything else. Maximizing some features
> always comes at the cost of something else which may be quite valuable to
> some. If everyone were an Einstein who would want to be a farmer or artist?
> Some people may see a world full of genius physicists as inherently better,
> but others may lament the potential loss of creativity among others.

Thanks for your kind comments.

You make a very good point and state it very well. The world does need all
types.

I worry that our present understanding of the underlying biological
balances and processes behind various diseases may be inadequate to make
these decisions.

Cancer cells for example, are constantly appearing in everyone all the
time, but other processes keep it in check. There's a balance between
growth factors and autoimmunity that keeps cancer from getting out of
control. When we select for people less likely to get cancer, might we be
selecting for people with less growth factors, who may not have the same
potential to be star athletes? Might we be inadvertently selecting for
people with increased risks of autoimmune conditions?

Diabetes and heart diseases are almost non-existent in traditional
societies. Might they be driven more by environmental factors than
genetics? We live in a very different environment from the one we evolved
in, and this environment is changing quickly and in ways that are not easy
to predict. How certain are we that the genes we choose to eliminate won't
be important later on or in new environments? E.g., we may be approaching a
future where we can create gene-optimized custom diets for everyone.

And speaking of Einstein, might his talents have been correlated with other
markers for diseases? E.g., might we reject an embryo that showed signs of
high vascularity in the brain that predisposed that embryo for a brain
bleed, and thereby deprive the world of our next Einstein?

Books could be written on these matters.

Jason