[ExI] Nobody knows the true colors of things, on this day of color.

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 02:47:39 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 8:12 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> Are there infinitely possible primary colors, given there are infinitely
> many possible organizations of brains?
>
> There're colorblind people and most mammals with two primary colors,
> primates and fish with three, birds and some tetrachromat humans with four,
> and I think there's some shrimp with 16. If there's no fundamental limit to
> the number of primary colors a mind can perceive, then are primary colors
> physical/chemical/neurological properties, or are they
> logical/informational/mathematical properties? I lean towards the latter
> grouping.

### I thought about it too. If you redo the organization of color rosettes
in the occipital cortex you should be able to squeeze additional colors
into the perceived spectrum. You would also need to add bandwidth to the
subcortical structures and additional parallel color sensors if you wanted
the new perceived colors to correspond to specific features of the
environment. Obviously, yes, colors are concepts created by our brain to
label objects, so they are informational rather than simple physical. This
is not to say that informational means non-physical but rather
informational is complex physics that happens in computing devices compared
to simple physics that describes objects in general.

Rafal