[ExI] Nobody knows the true colors of things, on this day of color.

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:41:04 UTC 2022

On Mar 20, 2022, at 1:21 PM, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Hi Dan, It looks like I may  have failed to include the link to the actual answer?:
> https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-brain-create-colour-How-would-you-explain-colour-to-a-blind-person/answer/Brent-Allsop-1
> And as you can see, the first paragraph proves this kind of Naive Realism view can't be true, for who's redness would be the property of the strawberry?
> Also, the book summary talked about how qualia: " are related to the physical properties on which they supervene".
> However if qualia supervene on something, then the qualia are different than what they "supervene" on.
> And Dennett says that qualia are "directly or immediately apprehensible by consciousness".
> In other words, qualia are directly apprehended.  We are interested in the qualities we directly apprehend, not the different stuff on which they allegedly supervene/intervene, right?

I haven’t finished reading the book yet, so I can’t really respond in an informed way of how Watkins tries to overcome the issues you raise. I admit, he’s taking a rather controversial view here. And I’m not saying I’m agreeing with him from the start. (I'm interested in Moore, too, though Moore wasn’t a direct realist, I believe, in any meaningful sense. He was into sense data. I take it Watkins is a Moorean in the more abstract sense of taking the ‘common sense’ conclusion about colours than accepting a sense data view of perception or other trappings of Moore’s philosophy.)

Regards,

Dan