[ExI] gas prices

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 22 03:07:02 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat
…

>…I think there might be a market for either design.

Rafal

Hi Rafal,

It now looks like towing a generator (or anything else) with a Tesla is a no-go.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1505679545965314054

Apparently I was about the seven trillionth person to think of hauling a generator.  People who have commented online say it does not make a cross country trip practical in one of Elon’s creations.

It doesn’t take a lotta calculation, but I recognize that in general one of these small generators will hold about three quarters of a gallon of gasoline, and it takes about an hour and a quarter to run that fuel out under the current load a discharged Tesla would pull.  The amount of energy that would provide in that 75 minutes would carry the Tesla driver about… 30 miles, 40 if she drives 55.

For fun, I did some calcs on building a trailer to haul lithium batteries.  That was kinda discouraging: not only does it weigh a lot, but the cost of the batteries would be up the kazoo.  Lithium batteries degrade with age as well as charge cycles, so… if you don’t go on cross country trips often, the battery trailer is a no-go anyway, never mind the voided warranty.

Well… Telsa owners can always rent a dinosaur burner for the occasional long trip I suppose.  I am back to looking at a more modest rig like the Nissan leaf, an older kinda junky one that won’t cost much.  Their resale price drops dramatically after they are 6 or 7 years old, because the range and performance start to degrade noticeably.  But if one is hauling a generator, that wouldn’t matter as much.

On the other hand, this whole idea might just be stupid.