[ExI] bee having fun

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 1 16:26:44 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Dave S via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] bee having fun

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 5:42 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>…Is there a legitimate reason, or even a logical illegitimate reason for stopping a guy from buying social media in order to make its filtering algorithm public?

>…I think it's naive to assume that making the source code public will reveal how decisions are made. It's highly likely that machine learning is involved. If that's the case, then bias in filtering can be a result of bias in the training data. I doubt that the training data will be available or its biases understood any time soon.

-Dave

Ja of course.  What we have now are plausible accusations that the 35k human moderators are biased already, but it doesn’t matter much because with the number of users, particularly the number of new users we can easily anticipate, 35k humans would be completely overwhelmed anyway, even if Elon had any intentions of keeping them employed.  That man is building fleets of electric cars with fewer humans than that.  There are a coupla hundred million Twitter users already.  Each human content moderator would need to watch on the average about 60 thooouuuuusand users each.  No way.

Dave if you and I had the money to buy Twitter, the first thing we would do is re-assign those 35k people to write software that flags the posts they flag currently, or failing that, come on in and build electric cars or recoverable rockets.  No damn way we would keep bleeding 30 million bucks a week for some service that many users already said is grossly inadequate, for there are still tweets somehow getting thru which have both the terms “Hunter” and “laptop.”  In the same tweet!  Horrors.

Hell even I could write software which would filter every post which contains both of those terms, sheesh, and I suck.  Get a good programmer, she could have that code written in short order, along with a switch or slider bar for the user to allow that kind of horrifying abuse to come to his Twitter feed.