[ExI] Review - TED interview with Elon Musk re Twitter takeover

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun May 1 17:52:05 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, 1 May, 2022 9:51 AM

--------

>...The problem is not “someone I dislike saying something I dislike” the problem is spam, abuse, harassment, threats of violence, dangerously misleading false information, and more.

--------

BillK

BillK, regarding dangerously misleading information and filtering, consider the article from the Daily Mail below, which I think is a news source from the UK.

It clearly contains dangerously misleading information: some idiot is pouring cola in her fuel tank.

Think about whoever bought that ad space.  Clearly she paid a lotta lotta money for it because that ad is found in a lotta places.  Do you suppose she wanted to help people save 55 percent on their fuel bill?  Or sell cola?  I think neither.  I think the motive for that ad purchase was to damage the credibility of any news source willing to run the ad.

Some news agencies will run any ad anyone will pay them for.  This is a clearly absurd example, but a dangerous one in some ways.  Some people are stupid enough to actually do it, and it will be an expensive repair if the engine drinks some of that.

Fun aside, they included a little sight-gag.  The sticker right above the cola bottle says 97+ octane.  You can’t even get that stuff at the airport.  That is specialty racing fuel now.  I haven’t even seen it for sale at normal gas stations since about the early 80s.

The lesson here is clear: the less moderated information sites are buyer beware.  The highly moderated sites are buyer be even more aware.