[ExI] Another Fermi Paradox Paper

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:31:41 UTC 2022

The Fermi Paradox is really easy to solve, once you appreciate even the
most conservative possible parameters of a technological singularity.

The problem is the universe is really really old, such that the odds of two
independently developing technological species being aligned in their
development even to within one million years is literally astronomical.

And therein lies the problem. Because if we're a million years ahead of
them, they're still pre-linguistic Stone Age hunter gatherers, and we
wouldn't be able to detect them.

And if they're a million years ahead of us, we're currently running as the
screensaver on their desktop computers, and they have absolute control as
to whether they want to be detected or not.

There is no in-between.

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 4:27 AM BillK via extropy-chat <