[ExI] us

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:43:50 UTC 2022

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 at 19:52, MB via extropy-chat

> Yesterday I had lunch with an old lady (late 80s) who showed me pictures
> of her family.  One of the girls (a granddaughter) is pregnant.  Old
> lady says to me: "I told her this was a terrible time to be having
> children as the world is going to end in 10 years".
>
> I did not take the bait, as I really didn't want lunch to devolve into a
> fight, but when I walked her out to her car I saw stickers all over it:
> "keep abortion legal", "ban fracking", "New Green Deal", and many
> stickers for Green groups.  The car however was an old Subaru, not an
> EV. Maybe she's given up hope, it's too late, doom doom doom?
>
> Indeed *her* world *is* likely to end within 10 years but damn.... What
> a thing to tell a young mother-to-be.
>
> Very sad.  One thing Humans have going for them is their major
> adaptability.  She seems to have lost track of that aspect completely.
>
> Regards,
> MB

Your old lady is not alone in her belief.
There is a huge campaign going on that she has joined.

<https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/story/inside-10-year-race-save-planet>
Quotes:
Inside the 10-year race to save the planet.
Humanity has the power and the knowledge to reverse the harm and
restore land and oceans – if it acts now. This is why the United
Nations declared the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration. By 2030, the
world must nearly halve greenhouse gas emissions to prevent
devastating climate change. Huge progress is needed to meet the
Sustainable Development Goals, from eliminating poverty and fighting
disease to safeguarding biodiversity.

Since its launch, millions of people have already joined or engaged
with #GenerationRestoration through its many channels, including
concerts, performances, projects and social media campaigns. Young
people with the most to lose from a degraded planet are leading the
charge – more than half of the audience using the UN Decade’s online
tools are below the age of 35.

Your old lady hasn't given up.
She's campaigning to get action taken to save the world!

BillK