[ExI] Cruise robot taxis in San Francisco

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 1 21:21:00 UTC 2022

>… On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Cruise robot taxis in San Francisco

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 1:42 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

So... what happens when most of the traffic is self-driving?...  It will get worse,
until... they will realize this isn't going to work.

>…The volume of pedestrian traffic is not nearly high enough to bring car traffic to a standstill by itself.  Also, jaywalking is still illegal; if pedestrians get abusive about this, severely inconveniencing people who have the police chief's ear, expect arrests until the problem goes back down…

Adrian you have far more faith than I do in the legal system.  In a time when San Francisco is still trying to decide if shoplifting is still illegal, it isn’t clear to me they will care about jaywalking.

That being said… After posting the previous, I realized having omitted two plausible outcomes of intentionally walking out assuming the self-driver will politely stop.  The chariot is operated by a human who can fail to detect the wayward pedestrian, striking same, or the human driver has a dash cam and maliciously pretends to fail to detect the hapless victim, again striking the silly presumptuous twit.

I would estimate about a 2% chance of injury or serious fatality with each against-the-light crossing now.  Do you feel lucky?  Neither do I.  Nor do I expect the number of arrests to go up in San Francisco until sheer frustration ignites a proletariat revolt there which results in a neo-Nazi dictator being elected mayor.