[ExI] Cruise robot taxis in San Francisco

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 1 21:27:35 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Saturday, 1 October, 2022 2:04 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Cruise robot taxis in San Francisco

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 at 21:49, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> The volume of pedestrian traffic is not nearly high enough to bring car
traffic to a standstill by itself.  Also, jaywalking is still illegal; if
pedestrians get abusive about this, severely inconveniencing people who have
the police chief's ear, expect arrests until the problem goes back down.

>...I was just thinking that!  :)
On one of my tours of USA we were in Houston to visit the Space Center and I
left the hotel early on a Sunday morning to see if anywhere was open for
breakfast. The roads were empty, so I just strolled across like we do in
London. There was a load shout and this huge Texas cop called me over to
explain emphatically about the Walk, Don't Walk signals. I thought I was
going to be arrested, but I guess my accent and debonair charm got me off
with a caution!  :)

BillK

Hey do let me assure you sir, it works.  The local constables will cut you a
loooootta lotta slack if you turn on the British accent and point out that
you are a tourist.  We like the British.  It works even better if you can do
Scottish: constable Oates from Wooster and Jeeves was Scottish along with I
think all of the force.  Oh they kept us laughing.  Those two guys were
comedy genius.

BillK, is there some inside joke in England about the bobbies being
Scottish?  I woulda thought Irish.  Perhaps I am missing something in the
accents?

Note to our non-Yanks: if you are in the USA and accidentally offend the
local authorities, turn on the accent to full.  They will let ya go.  I
don't think that principle works for yanks abroad however.