[ExI] elon on twitter

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 15:54:34 UTC 2022

With Twitter, the political motivation of the moderators was the point. The
previous management team was very open about that. I have no doubt said
moderation was definitely heavily automated, and that management had a
serious interest in developing and expanding said moderation.

The politically motivated moderation was a sideshow compared to the real
issue though: Twitter's business model has been selling advertising based
on viewer and membership numbers that, it is gradually coming out, may have
been massively overinflated.  This fraud [not to put too fine a point on
it] served not only to dramatically exaggerate Twitter's social and
political influence as a social media outlet, but to vastly overstate the
platform's attractiveness as a commercial advertising platform.

Even the full-on "bluecheck Bolsheviks" should be p*ssed at the previous
management if they spent any significant advertising dollars chasing an
echo chamber full of 'bot accounts.
[I just read that sentence back and realized how bizarrely
cyberpunk-science-fiction yet completely predictable this above sentence
would have seemed if you sent it back through time to this list in the
mid-90s.]

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 7:32 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <