[ExI] oh no, not this again...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Sep 14 22:28:29 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] oh no, not this again...

Quoting Spike:

> ...that would be a compelling theory except that Atlantic sea

> surface temperatures this fall are not cooler, they > are warmer.

> This in theory should have be a very active hurricane season according

> to long-accepted theory.

>.I am by no means an expert on the weather, but the standard explanation
for hurricanes doesn't make sense. The high temperature of the sea surface
can't drive a hurricane by itself, it needs a temperature gradient from the
ocean surface to the top of the convection cell. It doesn't matter how warm
the surface temps are if the upper atmosphere is too warm to get a good
convective flow going.

I don't have solid data, but during the volcanic eruption, the stratosphere
had its moisture content increased by 10% in a few seconds in the form of
superheated steam. The oceans surface is a little warmer this year, but the
atmosphere is also warmer. Less of a temperature gradient means less
convection means fewer storms and no hurricanes.

But like I said, I am just broadly applying fluid dynamics to the situation,
I am not a meteorologist.

Stuart LaForge

Stuart sheesh I leave you lads for a mere three days to go hiking in the
Sierras, trust you in charge of the weather, and whaddya do?  NOTHING!
Nada.

Dang this is weird.  Peak of the seasons, nothing out there.  One measly
tropical elation, one.  Lotta years we have had three namers going
simultaneously in mid September including a furious hurricane.

With this flat spot in the accumulated cyclone energy curve, 2022 is right
back in the running for being the second quietest year behind 1983.

I am guessing it will pass up about half a dozen of the quiet years however.

I am in the mood for some loud angry weather.