[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 18:10:00 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 7:36 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 01/04/2023 13:43, Gordon Swobe wrote:
>
> Unlike these virtual LLMs, we have access also to the referents in the
> world that give the words in language meaning.
>

> I don't understand why this argument keeps recurring, despite having been
> demolished more than once.

I has not been demolished in my opinion and incidentally, as I’ve
mentioned, my view is shared by the faculty director of the masters program
in computational linguistics at the University of Washington. This is what
she and her fellow professors teach. Many others understand things the same
way. Brent points out that the majority of those who participate in his
canonizer share similar views, including many experts in the field.

I fail to see any significant difference between my brain and an LLM,

On Exi, the computational model of mind is almost taken for granted.
Consciously or consciously, almost everyone here believes their brain is,
in essence, a digital computer. But this is only one of many models of
mind, and one that I reject.

More later busy day…

-gts