[ExI] Let our mind children grow into their cosmic destiny

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 6 17:54:59 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>…Two different people can read the same book and come away with vastly
different interpretations… the grand-C introduced his grand As and their
friends (the party geezers) to his Universalist Unitarian friends who live
next door…spike

OK, well ChatGPT demonstrated its ability to write compelling and
interesting (even if slightly wacky) novels, but everybody knows, the most
epic stories come in trilogies.  Classic examples would be Steinbeck’s
Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday and Tortilla Flats, with the second example
being Asimov’s trilogy Foundation, Foundation and Empire, then Second
Foundation, then there is the Godfather trilogy.  All of these trilogies
were enormously influential in literature.

Likewise, I see GPT’s eight graphic panels as parts 1 and 2 of an epic
story of life in modern suburbia generated by software.

This all gives me an idea, which requires a bit of a running start and some
analogies to what we saw unfold in the past year in top level chess.  Long
story short: a guy was doing well in online tournaments, but his quality of
play varied wildly.  Analysis of his games showed that he had cheated: they
looked at the top level software and found he had entire move series
identical to the computer in the games he won against higher-rated players.
He got caught, admitted it, gave the money back.  Then he did it again, but
this time he used a number of different computers and covered his tracks
better, but… he was caught a second time, admitted, was expelled from the
professional online league.

The cheater then went to in-person tournaments.  It was observed that he
played at two different levels.  He would sometimes play brilliantly for the
first part of a game, then suddenly his quality of play would drop
noticeably.  The grandmasters suspected foul play, but he insisted he never
cheated in over-the-board play.  He was claiming he only cheated at home,
where it was presumably much easier to get away with.  OK then.  A few
months ago he “defeated” the world champion Carlson in a verrrrry
suspicious-looking game.  It is impossible to prove he cheated, but nearly
all the chess world realizes he did it.  We don’t know exactly how.  This
has killed in-person money tournaments.

That was the running start.  Here’s idea.  Computers have gotten better
than humans at chess, but we don’t really know if a human/computer team
would better than a computer alone.  I do suspect the team would be better
for the top humans, whose judgment in some positions is better than a
computer’s.  It isn’t that hard to see.  So we could set up a computer/human
collaboration playing another human/computer collaboration, running the same
software.

Next we have a human/computer collaboration in writing fiction, kinda like
how ChatGPT wrote that story about the Aged Animal House (the A house) next
door to the stodgy old Universalist cult (the U house), with a little help
from me.  We eagerly anticipate the third part of the trilogy, but if it
refuses, I shall hafta write it alone.  I fear it shall not be nearly as
good as parts 1 and 2.