[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 09:41:34 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, 11:59 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 9:46 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 5:38 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

>> Note: I did not say the software is alive, nor did I say it was conscious
>>> like humans are. Only that things that demonstrate awareness of something
>>> we can assume to be conscious of something.
>>>
>> How, then, do you define conscious?

Most simply, consciousness is awareness. i.e. having knowledge.

Certainly you don't think there is anything phenomenal, like redness and
> greenness in there, like our phenomenal consciousness that is like
> something?

There is phenomenal consciousness. That I would call awareness of first
person non-sharable information concerning one's internal states of mind.

> This makes the conscious LLM claim trivial and uninteresting. My Ring
>>> doorbell in my smart home is “aware” of motion in front my door and starts
>>> shooting video. Excuse me, but so what.
>>>

> Abstractly aware, yes.  Now if it was phenomenally aware of  motion, and
> could experience colorness qualities, representing what it is detecting,
> now THAT would be defined as phenomenally conscious.

I'll give you a definition of red:

Red is white minus the green.
Green is white minus the red.
Blue is white minus the yellow.
Yellow is red plus green.
White is blue plus yellow.

Defining color in this way explains why we can't define colors in terms of
anything else. It's a closed set where every color is defined in terms of
it's relationship with every other.

It also explains the phenomenal properties of colors, which ones can mix
and which can't. Have you ever wondered why fir example there are:

Reddish yellows
Greenish yellows
Reddish blues
Greenish blues

But there are no:
Reddish greens
Blueish yellows

This can be explained via the above definitions of colors I provided above.

Jason