[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:23:31 UTC 2023

> But this set of stuff must be a seperate set, from whatever has a grenness property, right?

The subgraph corresponding to redness is different than the subgraph corresponding to greenness.

>  In other words, you can't replace something with a redness property with something that has a greenness property and expect the person to say there has been no change?

If the brain was modified so that the subgraph corresponding to redness has ceased to be and the greenness subgraph now replaces it then the person will experience greenness in the situations where he or she used to experience redness. After the procedure an honest person will report that things that used to appear red now appear green, assuming that the language dictionary in his or her brain wasn’t also modified to swap the words red and green.

> So, in that way, what redness is like, is substrate dependent on that set of stuff (all things that are redness), and you can't use something that has a different colorness property, and expect them to say it is the same redness?

Qualia depends on the interaction graph, but the interaction graph does not necessarily depend on specific particles. The same interaction subgraph corresponding to redness can manifest in the biological brain or in a simulation of that brain. There are similar particle interactions occurring in each case such that some subgraphs are shared. These shared subgraphs are the commonality of experience.