[ExI] What is Consciousness?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 11:17:55 UTC 2023

Hi Rafl
On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 9:01 PM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 4:07 AM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The implication of your "Science succeeds. The mystery endures" claim
>> seems to be that qualities of consciousness are not approachable via
>> science?
>>
> ### Approachable? Maybe, in the future. Approached? Eh, not really.

Great, with this you are sufficiently proving, in your own words, that you
understand what I mean when I say:
"We don't YET know which of all our objective descriptions of stuff in the
brain is the objective description of subjective redness."

> Have I sufficiently proven to you that I understand your questions about
>> ontology, immaterialism and so on?
>>
> ### No, we are persistently speaking past each other. As I said, ontology
> is a morass filled with words that chase each other's tails. Not worth
> wading into.

 So you're saying it's such a "morass with words that chase each other's
tails", that you're not willing to make an attempt to help me understand,
what I believe should not be a "hard problem"?