[ExI] What's wrong with Wolfram?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 03:24:16 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 1:29 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 1:21 PM Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:59 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <
>>

>>> ### Indeed. Are you familiar with Wolfram's Physics Project? I feel his
>>> approach may help us eventually put metaphysics on a firmer ground and
>>> maybe connect physics to the theory of consciousness in a more rigorous way.
>>>

>> His project to frame physics in terms of cellular automata?
>>
>> I think his project is, due to a subtle argument, shown to be impossible.
>> A result by Bruno Marchal implies that if digital Mechanism (in philosophy
>> of mind) is true, then digital physics cannot be true. And because digital
>> physics implies digital mechanism, the idea of digital physics leads to
>> contradiction and so must be false.
>>

> ### Can you elaborate on this?
>
> BTW, Wolfram's Physics Project is not based on cellular automata but
> rather graphs, which is an extension of his previous efforts from "A new
> kind of science"

Sure, it is a bit long and technical, but feel free to ask any follow up
questions or for clarifications if anything below does not make sense.

I can't say definitively whether or not Wolfram's current ontology is
inconsistent in the following way or not, as it depends to some extent what
Wolfram is considering as physics. My latest reading of his theories
concerning the ruliad and consciousness lead me to believe he and Bruno
might now be closer in their thinking, but I am not sure whether Wolfram