[ExI] all we are is just llms

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 23:47:46 UTC 2023

Let's use the caveman example.

Caveman decides to make a sound that imitates the "wolf" to indicate there
is a wolf near the cave and he wants to alert the other cavemen.

Language is born (by the way certain animals have this simplified form of
language). What is going on in the caveman's head? A lot.

It is not a simple 1-1 relationship between the sound that the wolf makes
and the idea of a wolf in general. That is what a parrot does, using Berger
stupid analogy. In fact, it is not even what a parrot does because what
parrots do and why is a completely different business (most birds learn how
to imitate different sounds to enrich their love songs and make them more
interesting to attract mates).

The caveman is abstracting. It is generalizing the idea of wolf, as a
particularly dangerous predator, it is generalizing the fact wolf make
different sounds and it chooses one that he believes other cavemen will
recognize as a wolf. He sees himself in them reacting to him communicating
the presence of a wolf outside via vocalization and so on. There is not a
simple process of grounding as Gordon wants to believe. The idea of
grounding was invented by linguist to simplify what language does but it is
an illusion and a fantasy. Language is much more complex than that. The
only thing one can say is that most human language has some relation to the
real world because our main concern as conscious beings initially was to
survive. Language was another tool for this survival. Think about a pointed
stone knife. What is the referent of this knife? With this I mean what is
the real life example that this knife is supposed to represent? One can
think that is a predator canine like the one in a wolf or a tusk but then
why not to use those as a knife? A knife is an invented object that doesn't
exist in nature. It could have been inspired by a tusk but it is not a
tusk, it is a higher abstraction. Same things with words that are the tool
of language. They are invented things even when they seem to refer to "real
objects". In which sense a stone is real? It is not, it is an abstraction
because somehow I have to abstract the properties of rocks and put all the
possible objects with similar characteristics (chosen by me arbitrarily) in
the same category. What comes first the 1 to 1 reference process or the
abstraction? Of course, the abstraction because THERE IS NOTHING TO POINT
TO, if I don't first in my brain decide this is a particularly important
object to point at. Gordon and the linguists have it upside down, we create
language and words in our head first and then we link them to the real
word.

Giovanni