[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 20:43:25 UTC 2023

This is so frustrating.  I'm asking a simple, elementary school level
question.  I have friends not practiced in theories of consciousness, who
get this immediately.  Yet everyone here (except Gordon?)  just either
changes the subject completely (to the unrelated topic of what is required
for intelligence), or asks yet more questions, as you are doing here.

After I sent that first version, I realized it might have better revealed
the issue to have stated it like this:
How is it that a bunch of abstract words, like 'red', floating around
inside a chatbot's brain can end up with [image: green_border.png]

Instead of answers, all I get are "It's turtles all the way down."  Or
infinitely recursive questions as answers, or "Let's completely ignore that
'hard'* question and change the subject to an 'easy'* question like what is
required for something to be intelligent?"
The properties of things are observable or demonstratable physical facts
about those things.  I'm simply asking what are [image:
red_border.png] and [image:
green_border.png] properties of?
If they are properties of physical things, what are those physical things?
(Even an 8 year old knows how to find out what color things are)
If they are properties of different functions, what functions?  (How would
you test for this?)
If they are properties of different relationships, what relationships?
(How would you test for this?)
If they are properties of some spiritual realm, what/where is that?  (How
would you test for this?)
If they are properties of turtles all the way down, what is the difference
between  [image: red_border.png] turtles all the way down and [image:
green_border.png] turtles all the way down? (How would you test for this?)

* Chalmers' classifications of what he incorrectly thinks is a 'hard
problem' vs what is an 'easy problem.'
In reality, his so-called "hard problem" is the most trivially easy
problem, one of the first things we learned in elementary school.  It is
simply: "What is  [image: red_border.png]  a property of?"
Everyone making it too "hard" is the only problem.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 1:03 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <