[ExI] all we are is just llms

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 21:10:58 UTC 2023

*But at some point, you need to have a transducing dictionary to interpret
those spike trains, which are only code*No, what you need to have is an
association between a set of inputs and outputs this is all. This is how
the association of the presence of external conditions related to light and
the sensation of redness was created. I explained how the story goes. Some
primate ancestors was able to distinguish (via a different shade of grey)
better ripe fruits than others. With time more and more neurons in the
brain of the primate started to be recruited to do this discrimination, via
filtering the colors, arranging them in categories or whatever was
necessary to separate red from green. This is where the translation,
transduction comes from. It was a form of UNSUPERVISED LEARNING.
The system didn't have to be taught by some external entity what red was,
it taught itself. Maybe you are lacking knowledge about Machine Learning,
AI and so on and to you, this type of unsupervised learning seems
impossible but it is done all the time. Evolution had millions of years and
an efficient selection mechanism to achieve this. The sensation of red is
the translation and it is not simpler or more direct than "RED". RED is
just an addition (so maybe it is a little bit more complex but this doesn't
make the sensation that fundamental either) on top of the sensation. By the
way, the sensation can be bypassed, one can envision making it a second
step that doesn't engage awareness and this information can be sent
directly to the language region, and that region then produces a word for
it when certain sensory inputs are present.
Giovanni