[ExI] SciAm & Charlie Stross: BS

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Dec 24 17:49:08 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-23 23:46, Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat wrote:
> Once great science journal Scientific American and once great science
> fiction writer Charlie Stross are deep into wokedecel B U L L S H I T
> these days.
> https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tech-billionaires-need-to-stop-trying-to-make-the-science-fiction-they-grew-up-on-real/

Lol. It is ironic that Stross is trying to absolve himself of the future
he helped to create. Did Stross forget Oscar Wilde's maxim that "Life
imitates art far more than art imitates life?"

In his piece, Stross says that "Science fiction, therefore, does not
develop in accordance with the scientific method. It develops by popular
entertainers trying to attract a bigger audience by pandering to them."
And then he drags billionaires over the coals for daring to be
influenced by the science fiction that he and his colleagues wrote who
are just trying to get people to buy their books. But in reality, the
billionaires are just trying to do the same thing: sell people more
technological products by pandering to them. It is not a huge leap of
logic to think that people who buy books depicting futuristic technology
might actually want to buy the technology were it available.

So selling their wares to the masses seems to be an agenda that is
shared by both SF writers and tech billionaires. Shame on the pot for
calling the kettle black.

A more pressing question is what do these woke Luddites want? They rail
against the belief that technology is the solution to all of society's
problems, but they don't seem very forthcoming with any alternative
solutions of their own. The biggest problem that society faces is that
it is so immense: 8 billion people and counting. Ideology and government
oversight certainly can't feed, provide energy for, and shelter 8
billion people; only technology can. What would the woke Luddites have
us do? Have the diverse children of the world hold hands and sing
kumbaya until the lights go out and the cannibalism starts? In my
opinion, a dystopian high-tech future is strictly preferable to eating
one another in the dark.

Stuart LaForge