[ExI] Meeting of the Minds

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 8 22:05:59 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meeting of the Minds

>…This is kind of a nightmare for programmers…

On the contrary sir.  This is a most exciting time to be a software developer.  For those in the biz, particularly those my age who have the option to retire if things go badly, it feels like progress, way faster progress than we have seen in years, perhaps decades.

>…I once went to Costa Rica and had with me a dictionary dated about a century ago…

Consider how we have fun.  Traditionally it has been travelling to a foreign land where things are done differently, to offer a different perspective on life perhaps.  ChatGPT comes along.  Now it isn’t as clear to me that the motivation to visit foreign lands is as strong.  We can get ChatGPT to relate to us as a Costa Rican person would do.  Think of the savings.

>… when I used it the locals looked at me like I was nuts - which I was…. bill w

I see this as a stretch assignment: an even bigger challenge: get ChatGPT connected to an expressive avatar, then give it some attitude, so the avatar can look at you like you are nuts.  That would be cool, and really necessary as a next step in practical human-like software.

This seems like a great substitute for actual international travel.  Think of the cost and time savings.  It would have environmental benefits as well.