[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Wed Feb 22 15:45:58 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, February 22nd, 2023 at 3:10 AM, Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> Who cares about the Turing test?

Exactly. People with a passing familiarity of it think it's a real, valuable tool, but people in AI know that's more of a notion, and not a useful tool.

> Even the idea that the machine has to "imitate" or fake human behavior. I don't care about that and in fact it is a bad idea. We don't want machines to fake anything. It is already obvious when machines try to pretend to be humans in these convo people have where they provoke it for example.

But we do want them to fake things, like birthday cards in the style of Cormac McCarthy or paintings in the style of Van Gogh.

We may be less enthusiastic about them being able to attempt to deceive us, but that's certainly going to happen.

-Dave