[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 02:09:42 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023, 8:23 PM Gordon Swobe <gordon.swobe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 6:43 AM Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I address this elsewhere in the thread. A sufficient intelligence given
>> only a dictionary, could eventually decode it's meaning. I provided an
>> example of how it could be done.
>>

> I saw that, and I disagree. I think if you try to work out an example in
> your head, you will see that it leads to an infinite regression, an endless
> search for meaning. Like ChatGPT, you will learn which word symbols define
> each other word symbol, and you learn the rules of language (the syntax),
> but from the dictionary alone you will never learn the actual meaning of
> the words (the referents).
>
> Try it with any word you please. You rapidly have a massive list of words
> for which you have no meaning and for which you much keep looking up
> definitions finding more words for which you have no meaning, and in your
> list you also have many common words (like "the" and "a") that lead to
> endless loops in your search for meaning.
>
> -gts

I see the word "Pi" defined by a string of 20 symbols which if I interpret
them to be digits in base 10 I confirm to be the ratio of a circle's
circumference to its diameter. This not only tells me about the number
system used in the dictionary but also what each digit means.

I count 92 entries with the string "chemical element" in their definition.
X number of which have the string "radioactive" and the other (92-X) have
the word "stable". I confirm these must be the 92 naturally occurring
elements and the atomic numbers listed in the definition tell me the names
of each of the elements.

I find an entry that includes "H2O aka dihydrogen monoxide" under the entry
"water". I know that this is the word used to refer to the compound
composed of one atom of oxygen bound to two elements of hydrogen.

I find another entry for "ocean" which is defined as a large body of salt
water. I don't know what large, or salt, or body mean yet, but the entry
for salt contains "sodium chloride" which I infer means the iconically
bound state that chlorine and sodium can form. I then infer that "ocean"
refers to the solution of H20 and NaCl that covers 71% of the surface of
their planet. Infer this as ocean is referenced many times in many other
definitions so it must be significant. There are no other references to
this solution with as many references.

The word "earth" says it is covered in 71% ocean and 29% "land". I don't
know what land means but from our surveys of the planet we know that its
surface area is approximately 71% H2O/NaCl solution and 29% solid material
extending above the surface of the ocean. I infer "land" to refer to the
projections of solid material above the surface of the ocean.

And so on.

Does the above convince you that the words can be decoded purely from the
patterns present in the structure and relations of the definitions and the
data contained therein?

Jason