[ExI] The Automathician

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:29:52 UTC 2023

> How can we trust these things now when such egregious errors are pointed out?

We can at least trust their mathematics. Mathematical proofs can be verified by computers so we can know for sure whether an AI proved a theorem correctly. Actually churning out good proofs is much more difficult than verifying them so this is one field where language models can potentially excel even with their unreliability. We can throw away the invalid proofs and keep the correct ones. Even if only a small fraction of the proofs are correct it will still likely be MUCH more efficient than a human doing it by hand.