[ExI] What is Consciousness?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:00:02 UTC 2023

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:48 PM Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh, YES Rafal,
>
> This is exactly the way Steven Lehar has proposed color
> conscious knowledge works.  (I just sent this link to him)  Our knowledge
> of the strawberry is laid out in the primary visual cortex, a pixel in our
> conscious knowledge for each point on the retina.  So these circles (one
> for each pixel) can rotate between redness(glutamateness) and
> greenes(glyceneness) or any other color, as that particular pixel changes
> from red to green, on the surface of the strawberry.

### I don't know where you are getting this fixation on glutamate from. The
coding strategy has nothing to do with glutamate vs other
neurotransmitters. Red and green coding neurons are the same class of
neurons with the same neurotransmitters. The specificity of coding for
colors comes from their location within the neural net, or in other words
from their respective patterns of connections to other neurons. Also, the
color cortex is not the primary visual cortex, it's on an intermediate
level in the visual center hierarchy. Also, color is assigned only to a
very small fraction of inputs from the retina, specifically to the foveal
(central) part of the visual field.

Rafal