[ExI] What is "Elemental Redness"?

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:53:41 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023, 3:11 PM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 02/05/2023 18:27, Jason Resch wrote:
> > The hard problem of consciousness comes about by assuming a particular
> > answer to the mind-body problem.
> >
> > The mind-body problem asks: what is the nature of the connection
> > between mind and matter.
> >
> > If you assume matter is fundamental (materialism) then you end up with
> > "the hard problem of consciousness" -- how to explain the appearance
> > of consciousness given only matter.
> >
> > On the other hand:
> >
> > If you assume consciousness is fundamental (materialism) then you end
> > up with "the hard problem of matter" -- how to explain the appearance
> > of matter given only consciousness.
>
> Nonsense. (in my opinion).
>
> There isn't one fundamental thing, there are three. There are only three
> things that make up the world and they are all subject to the laws of
> physics, all understandable and all predictable (or at least computable):

That's the materialist position. There are others, however.

> Space/Time
> Matter/Energy
> Information

Where do math, truth, logic, physical law, integers, mathematical objects
and other universes fit in?

Reality might be much larger than what we can see from our present vantage
point as a human in this universe. Physics offers no evidence against this
larger reality, and actually supplies much indirect evidence of it.

> Absolutely everything falls under some combination of these three things
> (and some people do reckon they can be collapsed into one thing, but I
> don't really know anything about that. It probably involves lots of very
> difficult maths, and is probably irrelevant to the world we inhabit).

On the contrary, it's very relevant. See this section of an article I
wrote, about how much of physics can be explained by presuming math is more
fundamental than physics:

https://alwaysasking.com/why-does-anything-exist/#Predictions_of_the_Theory

> Even gods ghosts and goblins fall under these things, because they are
> the imagined products of (some rather deranged) human minds.
>
> I mean if you really wanted to, I suppose you could call this
> 'tripleism'. But I don't think it would catch on. But still, they are
> the raw ingredients of reality. The recipes you can create from them are
> infinite, but everything is made up of them, and there is nothing else
> (as far as we know).

Do you believe in the existence of other universes having different
physical laws?

Jason