[ExI] The multiverse is unscientific nonsense

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:20:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 at 04:47, Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat

> On 2023-11-19 13:41, Tara Maya via extropy-chat wrote:
> > Oh no, someone came out and said it. The Emperor has no clothes.
>
> Huh? I thought vanilla Copenhagen QM was the Emperor?
>
> Stuart LaForge

OK, I'll attempt a reply.  :)

To me it looks like the Emperor's invisible clothes must refer to the
invisible other universes.
It doesn't matter whether the other universes are 'Many-Worlds'
universes or were created via a 'Big Bang' like ours.
As you said "You can't have direct observational evidence of other universes".
(Of course, you also can't have direct observational evidence of
anything that doesn't actually exist).  :)

I agree that we don't understand the indeterminacy of quantum measurements.
Quote:
The Born rule provides a mathematical way to calculate probabilities
of outcomes for quantum measurements. The Born rule is not just a
mathematical tool, but it also provides a link between the
mathematical formalism of quantum theory and experiment. It is
responsible for practically all predictions of quantum physics and is
considered a turning point where indeterminism entered fundamental
physics.

But I think it is reckless to attempt to solve our lack of
understanding by inventing infinities of invisible universes.
Universes are truly huge entities to keep creating every second.
I am happy to admit that QM is really puzzling at present.
While we 'shut up and calculate' and await a more complete understanding.

BillK