[ExI] towed evs again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Oct 23 01:42:59 UTC 2023

>>... What if… we rigged up a trailer with its own battery or even a big Diesel generator with its own motors on its axles?  Then a prole hitches up her Tesla, gets it out on the freeway, fires up the Diesel which drives the trailer wheels aaaannnndd… gently pushes the Muskmobile along the freeway, extending battery life?  spike

>...While you certainly could build such a rig, it strikes me as just silly.

>...Keith

Keith, you declared the notion silly with no equations, no calculations, a condemnation based solely on the observation that my other ideas to date have all been silly.  Unacceptable!  Consider the guy who invented the pet rock.  He probably had a bunch of previous silly ideas before coming up with that particular... em... OK bad example.  Read on please.

As I ponder the silly notion, it grows several percent less silly to me.  Many proles want to go on the road half the year after they retire comfortably.  A lot of them have plenty of resources and a grim determination to spend every shekel rather than leave it to their shiftless offspring.  So... we understand the enormous Diesel bus motorhomes with a pickup truck or jeep in tow, for a reason: a prole needs transportation once she arrives at the campground where she will be staying for a few days or weeks, or for the summer.

The pusher camper makes a lot of sense compared to that, for the more affluent Gaian crowd.  The Diesel rig belches choking clouds of black sooty exhaust, and the jeep back there makes it even worse.  The bus camper must be high off the ground because those heavy rigs have truck tires which means the floor hasta be way up to clear the substantial rear axle.

But a trailer doesn't need to be up there, thanks to smaller tires and no differential so the wind resistance is lower.  If it is hauling its own weight plus gently pushing the Tesla, the towed jeep is unnecessary.  Then if you are an affluent Gaian with such a rig, you can pretend to be green.  You aren't really, but you are not required to admit that to yourself.

Keith, what's so silly about that please?