[ExI] Philosopher Nick Bostrom’s predictions on life in an AI utopia

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 22:24:11 UTC 2024

Big Think recently spoke with Nick Bostrom about how humans might find
fulfillment in a post-scarcity world.  April 26, 2024

<https://bigthink.com/the-future/nick-bostrom-deep-utopia/>
Quotes:
In his 2024 book Deep Utopia, philosopher Nick Bostrom explores a
potential future where AI eliminates most resource competition and
human conflict.
If technology renders human labor unnecessary and eliminates many of
our daily struggles, it could allow people to spend more time on
fulfilling activities.
Bostrom explores the implications of a post-scarcity world — and our
ability to adapt to it.

Bostrom put it well: “Past performance is no guarantee of future
performance. Out of all the possible modes of being and all the
different people with different values we could become, it would be
really surprising if ‘remaining exactly the way we are now’ would be
the best possibility for how we should spend the next million years.”

The past made us who we are today, and the future will make us into
something new. And, if Bostrom is right, it’ll make us happier.