[ExI] Mind Uploading

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:01:09 UTC 2024

Yes, and a further subset is what is the solution to the "binding problem
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_problem>"?
It needs to be more than just in the same computer, or even data
represented in the same CPU.
Half of our visual knowledge is represented in one hemisphere, and the
other half in the other.  The corpus callosum is able to computationally
bind them into one unified world, in our head, representing what we see
with false color qualities (or qualia if you must.)  Redness is not a
property of the strawberry, it is a false colored property of your
knowledge of the strawberry.
The way we are aware of this space, as our knowledge of our spirits have
"out of body experiences" is a very powerful computational process of
awareness.
An important part of phenomenal qualities, like redness and greenness,
whatever they are, is their ability to be computationally bound in this
intelligent way.
You can't 'see' or perceive phenomenal qualities because the causally down
stream causes are not the same as the qualities themselves.
Downstream causal effects are only representations of the same, and don't
have the same qualities.  You need a transducing dictionary to get back to
the quality.

Consciousness is what it is like for a phenomenal cpu to compute
directly on qualities like redness and greenness.  Discrete abstract logic
gates do computational binding in a CPU in a very different way which has
nothing to do with any particular physical properties.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 8:39 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <