[ExI] Open Individualism

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 19:15:45 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, 1:24 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> open individualism - did this idea start from any facts?

Yes, there are strong probabilistic arguments for it being true. See this
paper for an introduction to the probability argument:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233329805_One_Self_The_Logic_of_Experience

If open individualism is not true, the chance of you being born and alive
as you is 1 in 200,000,000, and the same odds must have been win by your
parents, your grand parents, and so on. So it is overwhelmingly unlikely
that you would not exist at all if open individualism is false.

I seriously doubt it.  It sounds like one of those ideas that blow your
> mind and so are attractive to people, but have no way of being tested.  Am
> I right?  Prove to me that it's not just another goofy idea.  Are we
> scientists in this group, or not.  If not, then forget I wrote this.   bill

There are massive conceptual problems with the conventional closed
individualism view. If you investigate these you will see why open
individualism is the least flawed of all the available options.

Consider that the rational scientist would conclude a person survives a
star trek style destructive teletransporter, so long as an identical
version was created on the other side. So then material/bodily continuity
cannot be essential to survival.

Consider also, that a person changes substantially over time, gaining
memories here, losing memories there, to the point that a 50 year old
person has almost nothing in common psychologically with their 3 year old
self.

No combine them: consider a flawed transporter where a few memories are
lost and a few new ones inserted during a teleportation, such that an
imperfect clone was created. Did the person survive?

Your first instinct might be to say no, they were destroyed. But then
consider, a person who travels and arrives by train is not an identical
copy of the person who stepped on board.

If we can survive transport by train, why can't we survive transport by
faulty teleporter?

If we can survive faulty teleporters, then the person who stepped in is the
same person who emerges on the other side. How far can we take the
faultiness of this transporter until it's non longer the same person?

You will find, if you pull on these threads, that the conventional view of
personal identity (what Kolak calls "closed individualism") breaks down,
leaving two options:

Empty individualism: a.k.a. no-self theory, we are each only and ever a
single thought moment, like the Buddhist conception of Anatta.

Open individualism: there are no individuating borders.

Empty individualism, while logically tenable, is useless as a decision
theory, and leads only to nihilism. If, however, you in any way connect
your past self with your current self (reject empty individualism), then
the only consistent scientific theory that remains is open individualism.
Closed individualism is no workable. This is what Kolak shows in his book
"I am You".

Jason