[ExI] Open Individualism

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 21:30:03 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024, 4:23 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Consider also, that a person changes substantially over time, gaining
> memories here, losing memories there, to the point that a 50 year old
> person has almost nothing in common psychologically with their 3 year old
> self.
>
> This 100% completely and utterly false. Personality and intelligence
> remain fairly constant if we ignore superficial factors such as preferences
> in food, books , etc.

A 3 year old steps into a transporter, a 50 year old with a similar
personality and IQ steps out. Did the person who entered the transporter
survive?

> The one in 200 million probability is a priori.   Some form of me would
> have resulted with a probability of 1 if any of the sperm won out.

And that's exactly the thinking that leads to the conclusion of open
individualism. "Some form of me would be born no matter what".

Regardless of the atoms. Regardless of the genes. Regardless of who the
parents are.

Jason