[ExI] Open Individualism

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 16:37:36 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jan 6, 2024, 10:21 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> I want someone else to say:  this is not science.  Open individualism is
> not scientific because it cannot be measured, only theorized.  Playing
> around with ideas is great fun, but eventually you have to produce
> something not metaphysical.

Do you believe in Occam's razor as a useful tool in deciding what theories
are science?

If so the. Open individualism is the only scientific theory of personal
identity. I will explain why.

Consider a two theories of internal combustion engines:

A) the engine works not only because of the explosions within the pistons
but because in addition to those explosions there are 6 motive demons,
which though not detectable are needed to ensure the laws of motion operate
according to newton's laws.

B) the engine works because of the explosions within the pistons.

I think you would agree that A is not scientific because it makes addition,
unfounded, untestable metaphysical assumptions.

Now I will show the same is true for conventional theories of personal
identity, while open individualism makes no such untestable metaphysical
assumptions, and therefore is like theory B above.

Consider these two theories for why you were born:

A) in order for you to be born and experience life, a particular sperm has
to reach a particular egg, in a particular time, and at a particular place,
in order for this metaphysical "you" (some call it a soul) to meet up, and
attach itself to this exact combination of cells and particles.

B) in order for you to be born and experience life, a sperm has to reach an
egg.

Which theory makes the least assumptions and is compatible with all the
facts? Which theory is science, which is metaphysics?

Jason