[ExI] Upload/Download (was: Re: Fwd: Open Individualism)

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:17:05 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024, 6:51 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> Keith Henson said:
>  >> I suspect that people will prefer the uploaded state, but I also
> suspect that people will save bodies.
>
> Jason Resch said:
>  > Yes, I think there will still be many reasons for interfacing with
> the external world.
>
> That remark seems to imply you think that uploads would not interface
> with the external world. I don't see why they wouldn't, and I'd
> certainly expect they'd be able to if they wanted.

Perhaps, but then again, that might be considered too dangerous. Future
computing substrates might be too fragile and too subtle for any human mind
to manage in any way. And if they break something they might kill a billion
people running on that node.

> If nothing else, uploads should be able to maintain their own hardware.

In the near future we will be able to build hardware they maintains itself.
Or we could envision nanobots that maintain things.

> If you were an upload, would you want to entrust the care and
> maintenance of your hardware to biological beings? That will probably be
> the case at first, but in the long run, we don't want to depend on
> beings that can be disabled or destroyed so easily. It would be ironic
> if civilisation was wiped out by a disease, say, in spite of a good part
> of it being resistant to the disease!

My views are inspired, among others, by this vision of the future:

http://frombob.to/you/aconvers.html

Also, consider that if we upload ourselves to computing substrates that run
our minds a million times faster, then the "real world" becomes incredibly
slow. It would take subjective weeks for each click tick of each second in
the real world. They really does isolate the worlds. Even the speed of
light is slowed to something like a jetliners, so sending an text message
to the other side of the world is something that takes hours to arrive.

To me this suggests the future will be not only vastly miniaturized but
also localized. We will create many copies (for redundancy) of large
collections of individuals (perhaps all of humanity) in localized clusters
for speed of access and interface.

There would be no way any human could maintain such machines, as they would
operate on atomic or subatomic scales, and their million+ fold time speed
difference makes the physical world a static alien thing. You could run
around in the rain at normal speed in the real world with a robot body for
a few minutes, but it will cost you years of subjective time, all your
family and friends will go years without seeing or hearing from you while
you dance in the rain. But you could have had the exact same experience in
virtual reality running at the same speed as everyone else in the uploaded
state.

Jason