[ExI] Kurzweil shares five key insights from his new book, The Singularity Is Nearer

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 19:53:45 UTC 2024

On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 18:15, Keith Henson via extropy-chat
> I don't think it matters much.  The most significant antiaging
> substances are not regulated to any extent;
>
> Re your thoughts on LOAR, that seems to be the curretn situation with
> respect to AI.  I think the key factor is "Does it make money" and
> once that happens it attracts more and more money.  Toward the end of
> Drexler's Radical Abundance, he discusses how the path to his vision
> was derailed.  Had there been a money-making product, I think the
> history would have been very different.
>
> Keith

Another review, less enthusiastic about Kurzweil's predictions.
BillK

<https://nautil.us/ray-kurzweil-still-lives-in-utopia-716444/>
Quotes:
This is the singularity as Kurzweil imagines it, when “the AIs will
become part of us, and thus it is we who will be doing those things.”
If Kurzweil is even remotely right, then 10 years from now our
lives—our very society—will be totally unrecognizable.