[ExI] AI can create songs and write essays - Really?

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 21:37:37 UTC 2024

It always amuses me that AI and robotics came out almost precisely the
opposite of how science fiction through the 70s depicted it.

Science fiction told us that human-level intelligence was pretty straight
forward, fluent speech synthesis was tricky but doable, and smooth bipedal
locomotion was very difficult, bordering on impossible.

In reality, things turned out precisely the opposite: we got fluent speech
synthesis first, smooth bipedal motion very shortly thereafter, and human
level intelligence last, and with enormous amounts of compute and effort.

You've pointed out something interesting - even within the subdomain of
purely abstract intelligence, things came out in the opposite order from
science fiction. Science fiction told us AIs would find math and logic easy
and natural, but artistic creative work difficult and borderline
incomprehensible. and of course, the opposite is the case - AIs find art
and creative work pretty straightforward, but have difficulty with
arithmetic and multi-step logical derivations.

Funny old world, innit?

On Sun, Jun 2, 2024 at 3:21 PM BillK via extropy-chat <