[ExI] libertarians nominate none of these

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:52:50 UTC 2024

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:07 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> [...]

EP does not account for everything.  Most of the selection for
psychological traits such as for capture-bonding or war happened a
long time ago, long before the rise of nation-states.  The
psychological traits that lead to wealth are more recent.

> Such people should exist, even as anomalies.  EP is about differential reproduction in favor of those whose behaviors are all the things EP predicts, but we have a few complete asexuals.  I know one personally, a cousin.  Obviously she has no children, but has a lifelong opposite gender partner who is also asexual.  OK then.
>
> Asexuality is an anomaly.  So... those who eschew power and wealth should not surprise us.

Asexuality is not going to become a common psychological trait.  Power
and wealth are different.  Power gives males more mating
opportunities, wealth means a person's children are less likely to
starve.

> I eschew power, but I am way totally cool with wealth.  If one argues that wealth is a form of power, I would counterargue that on the contrary, everyone has a choice if they want to trade with me.  I do not command anyone.  I buy their services.  We both win.
>
> Keith we live in California, which is a free state: we can vote however we feel and never worry for a minute it can have any influence on the outcome.  So... I vote my conscience.  I am a green libertarian, who generally votes with the Libertarian party.

This is so far from the environment of evolutionary adaptiveness that
I don't think EP will help to understand it at all.

Keith