[ExI] Was I Right?
Stefano Ticozzi
stefano.ticozzi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:20:36 UTC 2026
I realize this is far from an objective metric, but I would simply rely on
the judgment of the members of this mailing list: by Sunday, January 3,
2027, anyone who wishes to do so can express their views on whether the
year 2026 was "normal" or not, using the year 2025—which is considered
normal—as a benchmark.
ciao
stefano
On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 5:42 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 12:57 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <
> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>
> *>…At the beginning of this year I said 2025 would be the last normal
> year. Was I right? It's too early to say for sure *
>
> *John K Clark *
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Stefano Ticozzi via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] Was I Right?
>
>
>
> >…Yes, I agree that it's too early to say for sure, but 2026 has been
> quite normal so far: same old problems, new bold announcements.
>
>
>
> I'm afraid you're probably gonna loose your bet ;)
>
>
>
> ciao
>
> stefano ticozzi
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> John cannot lose his bet because the wording of the proposed wager is
> insufficiently precise to create an unambiguous win/lose result. All bets
> on the future must be made in such a way as to have a stark contrast
> between win and lose. The betting markets adjudicate sometimes, but
> ideally a bet is worded completely unambiguously.
>
>
>
> Challenge: find a way to state John’s conjecture in such a way that no one
> can reasonably argue the result as of 31 Dec 2026. No vague terms, no
> maybe, no anecdotes. Clearly defined metrics only please. I have failed
> so far, even given a lot of experience in how futures betting contracts are
> worded. If anyone succeeds, let’s set up a play money betting pool, with
> respectars as the currency.
>
>
>
> spike
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/attachments/20260924/88b6afad/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the extropy-chat
mailing list