[Paleopsych] Eureka: Ecologist calls for creation of an international panel to assess human behavior

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Sun Aug 8 22:02:02 UTC 2004

At 11:51 AM 8/8/2004 -0400, Premise Checker wrote:
>Paul, Steve just spoke of alternative energy sources and named them.
>
>The most important, and most thankless, function of the economist is to
>turn problems into non-problems. Oil is a non-problem. All that will
>happen is that oil will be more expensive. As price goes up, the quantity
>demanded goes down. Substitutes will be found, as long as men are free to
>find and invent them, and will be marketed, as long as men are free to
>market them.
>
>Economists do not speak of the "demand" for oil (or anything else) without
>reference to price. They (we, since I'm one) speak of a demand *function*,
>which gives the *quantity* demanded as a *function* of price. The *law of
>demand*, the most important law in economics, is that the slope of the
>demand *function* is negative: as price increases, the quantity demanded
>decreases.

I also took economics one -- and the follow-on courses that were a bit more
precise.

The claim is that a perfect market system yields a Pareto optimal solution.
If the case is
overstated a bit (ignoring distributional aspects), this means that it
provides a least-pain
way of allocating pain.

But it's not a perpetual motion machine. There is no upper bound on how
much pain there can be,
even if optimally allocated. Concrete understanding of the concrete
realities of energy today
is not nearly so reassuring as the words in the protected islands of
culture which have yet to have it shoved in
their face. (Reminds me of the words that the Shah and his friends told
each other
a few years back, that many people are starting to remember..)

Best of luck to us all...