[Paleopsych] pygmalion effect

Marcel Roele mroele at hetnet.nl
Mon Aug 9 14:45:44 UTC 2004

Don't get me wrong. I do not want to belittle the effect of expectations
on performance (not just positive, often also negative. Take European
Championship soccer 2004 e.g. Portugal - host nation - lost twice
against Greece  - opening match and final; they'd probably won had they
been able to play somewhere else. Netherlands in  EC 2000 - also host
nation - missed five penalty kicks in semi-final against Italy. On the
other hand: South Korea - host nation of 2002 world championship,
reached semi-final with a rather weak side). But we were NOT talking
about PERFORMANCE, but about IQ, which is ABILITY (and to a large extent
INNATE ability).

Marcel