[Paleopsych] drug war

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 21:43:09 UTC 2004

At 11:33 AM 8/18/2004 -0700, Michael Christopher wrote:

> >>I think we should separate out types of crimes-
>victimless crimes, property crimes, and
>crimes against other people. I think our prohibitions
>against pot and psychedelics reflect a societal horror
>of ecstatic experience.<<
>
>--Agreed. More specifically, drugs that connect the
>right and left brains are denigrated, while "numbing"
>drugs are accepted.
>
> >>If we approve of using alcohol, a brain poison, to
>numb the pain of our existence, why not smack?<<

I do not approve of those kinds of drugs -- but it's clear that the global
drug war
has been a bust. The power and danger of global drug combines is second only to
the "Al Queida" federation. It is a threat to global security on a scale
that few appreciate.

In my view, the only hope is through something few would accept
in the US --

to go to a modified "British system."
Probably Soros' research foundation in Baltimore has the best
real technical understanding ..

But crudely...

The US has a tendency to get lost in black and white thinking.
When extreme conservatives and extreme politically corrects
can't get a majority... we fall into the grey fuzz zone
between the two. As in drug policy.

But sometimes real success is possible only if people learn to think in colors.

And so... SPECIFICALLY the highly addictive and noninjected and potentially
fatal drugs, like cocaine, should be subject to a self-financing system of
state clinics
for registered addicts. That's the "liberal" side.

But folks who have second violations of selling the stuff to people outside
that system
(after the clinics are established) should have the death penalty. Women who
give birth from a pregancy in which the fetus is exposed to this stuff
should be automatically
guilty of criminal child abuse, and automatically deemed unfit mothers, and
sterilized. That's
the conservative part.

But the clinics themselves should make easily available and free all kinds
of medical assistance
to prevent such pregnancies (especially the ... delayed action six-months
things and tube tying.)
And the stuff should emphatically not be encouraged; information should be
available about
the problems -- but  all addicts should know the locations.

should dry up
a lot of the cartels. The benefits to democracy in Latin America would
be substantial and immediate.

As for heroin -- those guys are doomed all by themselves. For now, the need
for change is not
as great there.

Just my view...

Best,