[Paleopsych] drug war

K.E. guavaberry at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 18 23:36:44 UTC 2004

hi paul,

If Only .... - instead the "conservative " view is this!

best,
karen ellis

STATES OF DENIAL
Abby Christopher, AlterNet
A rape, a visit to the ER, a request for emergency
contraception, a refusal on religious grounds. Welcome
to the new front in the battle for reproductive rights,
where state law says it's okay to deny prescriptions.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/19584/

the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), research
scientists, and the FDA have considered the drug safe since they approved
it in 1999, this past May the FDA overruled its own independent panel of
experts and rejected an application for over-the-counter status for EC.

EC works much like birth control pills: taken in two doses, the drug stops
the release of an egg from the ovary, preventing fertilization. In the case
of fertilization, EC may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the
womb. If a woman is already pregnant and an embryo is already implanted in
the wall of the uterus, EC will have no effect.

"It's an issue of confidentiality that discourages women to file
complaints," says Spitz. "It takes a lot of courage to put your name out
there and confront the providers who have refused access. And we need data
in order to establish new laws and strengthen and enforce existing laws to
ensure access. Ideally we'll get EC approved for (over-the-counter) when/if
Barr reapplies with the FDA."

/snip/
>But folks who have second violations of selling the stuff to people
>outside that system
>(after the clinics are established) should have the death penalty. Women who
>give birth from a pregancy in which the fetus is exposed to this stuff
>should be automatically
>guilty of criminal child abuse, and automatically deemed unfit mothers,
>and sterilized. That's
>the conservative part.

>But the clinics themselves should make easily available and free all kinds
>of medical assistance
>to prevent such pregnancies (especially the ... delayed action six-months
>things and tube tying.)
>And the stuff should emphatically not be encouraged; information should be
>available about
>the problems -- but  all addicts should know the locations.
/snip/

Domino (c) 1990 KSE
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/GuavaberryBooks/Domino/_DOMINO_.html>

West Indian Proverbs found in Domino
"Little ax cut down big tree"
             A  woman may be small but accomplish big things.

"Man Dead, Man Dey"
            Life will go on in spite of death and if a woman loses her man,
            there is always another to take his place.

Sometimes it feels like: "Ah Buddy, me a jig but no motion"
            Wok'n like hell but not gettin' anywhere.

"Proverbs - an ancient resource,  the original sound byte. These morsels of
wisdom
that make up the Oral Tradition which have successfully passed down
knowledge to future
generations worked great! before the complications of curriculum interfered
with people's ability
  to internalize snippets of useful and necessary info. "

"Now, they educate the knowlege right outta ya." KSE 1998

  "Be who you are and say what you feel because the people who mind
     don't matter and the people who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."  Alvin Toffler

          ///  Karen Ellis <mailto:admin at edu-cyberpg.com>
         ///  <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/>Educational CyberPlayGround
   __ /// GUAVABERRY BOOKS  -
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/GuavaberryBooks/Domino/_DOMINO_.html>DOMINO
   \\\///   Traditional Children's Songs Games, Chants from U.S.V.I
    \X/  7 Hot Site Awards from New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC,
     \/ Earthlink USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty