[Paleopsych] NYT Mag: Bush Landslide (in Theory)!

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 20:27:46 UTC 2004

Fair's model (below) is interesting. Fair is a highly respected educator.
I vaguely remember thirty years ago... that one of my students tested
something like Fair's simplified econometric model of the US economy, and
showed how it could
predict more accurately if retuned using certain algorithms I developed.

But... there are caveats.

The "2.5 percent (mean?) error"... is for a limited set of observations.
A limited number of elections.

It's a nice simple model, it sounds like. Two inputs, one binary output.

Now consider another. One input: the last digit of the year of the election.
The output: whether the elected President gets shot.
Fewer variables, more cases (since the data goes back further.)
Not even 2.5 percent mean error; zero error. Even more reliable.

So if we believe Fair, we should have even more confidence that Bush will
be shot.
President Cheney. How about that?

What do we make of this?

We shouldn't totally discount either model -- but we should remember that
we have
additional information, as the Bayesian would say. Information about
complex cause and effect aspects. Information about equally simple models
that may point
in other directions.

In fact -- predicting terrorism and predicting war and predicting the stock
market involve similar issues.

The best experience from stock market predicting is all mucked up by
proprietary barriers to
giving away information. But I gather there are periods where simple models
work... followed
by phase shifts... and then by other simple models... and so on.

For terrorism and war and such, I would look for a totally different kind
of model, making
better use of the richness of the data. Too bad no one seems to know how
who does it for
a living -- but really, it has subtle aspects.

And right at the moment I tend to feel that such a model would be a tad
more favorable to
Kerry than to Bush right now, though the world is full of free will
variables that
could change it either way.

----------------

Fair's model also reminds me a little of some amusing econometric models I
have seen.
For example, how people's expectations of oil price twenty years' hence is
well predicted
by stuff like the one-year average trend and the present price. How energy
prices predict the
DOE budget much better than they predict energy consumption (in the past...
ala Fair).
People's expectations of what happens to the economy under Bush versus
Kerry will
undoubtedly be one causal factor here... among others...

Best,

    Paul