[Paleopsych] drugs

Werbos, Dr. Paul J. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Thu Aug 26 12:22:55 UTC 2004

At 02:26 AM 8/26/2004 -0700, Steve wrote:
>I have heard that the AMA thinks that
>100,000 Americans die every year from
>the side effects of prescription medications.
>
>How does that compare with the death
>rate from recreational drugs?

My proposal for changing the regulation of cocaine was not motivated
primarily by the death rate from cocaine (let alone the others).

Really, it was motivated more by what the cocaine cartel now does to the lives
and organization of major parts of the world -- and the huge parasitic drain
into the feeding of a dangerous monster. I hope we can agree that
a major change in the status quo is desirable -- even if it does not
go quite to the opposite extreme.

But ... you could argue that the health care system in the US itself has become
something of a monster. I wouldn't really argue with that... though I
personally do not have
an immediate proposal to improve it by a factor of two either. Not that it
can't be done..
and there are lots of bits and pieces... but it's hard.

Best,

   Paul