[Paleopsych] The prefection of democracy

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Thu Nov 11 01:33:04 UTC 2004

G:
RE: elec college, a good point. What good is it? The founding fathers
distrusted two things:
    - government (jefferson)
    - democracy  (hamilton)
So the checks and balances are designed to prevent government from
getting strong and democracy from disenfranchising the minorities. When
people throw those aside, tragedy often results.

So the main advantage of the electoral college was to protect small
states. Shifts in the reality may have made those moot. But a change
requires a constitutional amendment, a nortoriously hard process.
Lynn