[Paleopsych] Singularities Shift Mass Consciousness

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 20 15:19:04 UTC 2004

To a large degree the world runs on central tendencies,
and the course of history or commerce is not changed
very much by isolated incidents.

But the central tendency does shift, and I would suggest
that the shift is caused by isolated incidents.

As a photographer I find it interesting that those isolated
incidences are often conveyed in my medium.

A soldier kills a wounded enemy...
Bodies hang on a bridge...
A man with a cone on his head stands on a box...
Buildings collapse...
A President is shot...
A flag is raised on a remote island...
Gaunt faces in striped suits stare through a barbed wire fence...
A fleet is attacked...

All good photographers know that our pictures have to be
graphic to be effective, so we get in close and try to capture
the most important information in a few simple shapes.
I guess it's all our fault :-)