[Paleopsych] binary nature

Alice Andrews aandrews at hvc.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 11:40:51 UTC 2004

Hi Michael,
I  think you're right...Binary is the wrong word. It came to me as I was
thinking of the word '(uni)versal' and  wanting to displace that 'uni'
concept with a morpheme that reflected a dual or multilayered
'being'/nature.

"However, it seems to me, that we'd be better off talking about
multi-phylogenetic modes [along lines of (tri) MacLean or (quad) Jim Henry]
or even a bi-human nature...rather than uni."

But, you're right re:

>It's all part of one cycle, not two
> separate things but two limits approached alternately
> by one function.

I guess the part that gets me stuck is that when we left-brainishly DO start
to categorize, we invariably want to say: the one function is a particular
way--rather than saying the one function is a dual way. Does that make
sense? It's early...
And also I think  you're so 'right on' re the polarity question.
Re the wimp factor: I think that these recent posts of mine are pretty
wimpy...You're not likely to hear a man say "my Floresian-sized brain" or
"I'm grappling" or "I don't think that was what I was talking about but
maybe it was." These were all genuine feelings I had, which I expressed
reluctantly, knowing that to male ear it would either be seen as phony (from
projection--since when do they ever feel such things?!!!!), or manipulative
in some way--since I'm a woman and why else express a weakness if not for
some gain?????
I'll go look at the Wimp link, thanks....
I just yesterday heard on news Arnold preaching to a Republican crowd re
something like: "You don't want a girly-man country, do you?? Yikes!

All best,
Alice